logo-inaem

Chronology

1856-1998
1856
The first stone of the new building is placed (6-III). Participants in construction and decoration: Jerónimo de la Gándara (porch, foyer and auditórium), José María Guallart (front), Silvestre López (sculptures of Music and Poetry), Luis Muriel (curtain of the proscenium), Antonio Gómez (paintings of the Poetry, Music and Zarzuela in the frame of the proscenium), Manuel Castellanos and Francisco Hernández Tomé (ceiling of the auditorium). The opening of the Theatre takes place on the birthday of Queen Elizabeth II with works by Emilio Arrieta, Francisco Asenjo Barbieri, Ramón Carnicer and Joaquín Gaztambide, among others (10-X).
1859
Barbieri organizes and conducts six sacred concerts on Fridays Lent, with works by Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn and Weber, among others.
1865
First improvements and reforms of the Theatre; disappears a part of the original decoration and the stairs are modified. Francisco Pla Vila paints the new ceiling of the auditorium.
1866
The Manuel Catalina dramatic company leases the Theatre for a few months.
1867
The Teodora Lamadrid dramatic company leases the Theatre for a few months.
1870
The Gaztambide funeral procession passes in front of the Theatre ((18-III).
1894
The Asenjo Barbieri funeral procession passes in front of the Theatre (20-II).
1896
First session of payment cinema (26-IX).
1906
Vives, Lleó, Paso and Fernández de la Puente form a drama society and become entrepreneurs of the Theatre (30-VIII). Fernández Caballero dies and he is exposed in the lobby of the Theatre (28-II).
1908
Vives, Lleó, Paso and Fernández de la Puente dissolve their drama society and leave the direction of the Theatre. The Chueca funeral procession passes in front of the Theatre (21-VI).
1909
A fire in the boiler destroys most of the Theatre. It saves the front and the building's main structure (8-XI).
1910
The architect Cesáreo Iradier prepares the Theatre reconstruction project.
1913
Reopening of the Theatre with a dance of masks (1-II).
1925
Moreno Torroba y Luna become entrepreneurs of the Theatre.
1956
The General Society of Autors takes the actions of the Theatre Proprietary Council. The architects Antonio Vallejo and Fernando Ramírez Dampierre make new reforms in the original decoration and the disposition of the stairs. First Centennial celebration of the Theatre with the replacement of Doña Francisquita (10-X).
1964
The Madrid Friends of the Opera Association organizes the Opera Festival. The Ministry of Information and Tourism takes three quarters of the Theatre.
1970
The Opera seasons starts (first edition). It makes reforms in the box of the stage.
1983
The Opera seasons conclude (20ª edition). The architect Felipe Delgado Laguna reforms the box of the stage and the ceiling of the Theatre.
1984
The Theatre was purchased by the Ministry of Culture and changes its name to Teatro Lírico Nacional la Zarzuela. Continue the reforms of the auditorium and the stage (III). The Sinfónica de Madrid (Arbós) becomes resident orchestra of the Theatre.
1985
Reopening of the Theatre new phase with Doña Francisquita (24-IX).
1990
The coliseum returns to its original name: Teatro de la Zarzuela.
1994
The Theatre is declared Property of General Interest under Monument category (III).
1997
The Theatre recovers its original mission for which it was created: the zarzuela. The Orchestra of the Madrid Community becomes resident orchestra of the Theatre.
1998
Reopening with El chaleco blanco, by Chueca and La Gran Vía, by Chueca and Valverde (23-I).